Tuesday, May 19, 2009

wake up and pay attention

'Wake Up and Pay Attention' is a phrase from one of my favorite movies, Sister Act 2: Back in the Habit.



The reason I say 'pay attention' is because I don't think people realize the effort I put into the playlists on my blog. Each month it is updated with a new list of songs. I pay careful attention to the feelings that songs give me. And each month I make a playlist that captures the mood and vibe that will set the tone for me that month. Sometimes it's more chill, sometimes it is crazy energetic, sometimes the lyrics are more contemplative, sometimes they're hopelessly romantic.

So, I think that at the beginning of each month when I update the playlist I will post about it and give you the skinny on the soundwaves I have selected.

There's no time like now for change, so here's what's spinning on 'life in stereo' for the month of June:

1. Come On, Get Happy | The Partridge Family
2. Did You Get my Message? | Jason Mraz
3. One Week | The Barenaked Ladies
4. Put Your Records On | Corinne Bailey Rae
5. Wonderful Night | Fatboy Slim
6. Light & Day | The Polyphonic Spree
7. The River of Dreams | Billy Joel
8. POP! Goes my Heart | Hugh Grant
9. Time of the Season | The Zombies
10. Extraordinary | Better Than Ezra
11. Lucky | Jason Mraz/Colbie Calliat
12. The Tallest Man, The Broadest Shoulders | Sufjan Stevens

This month the selection is less lyrics-based and more about the texture of the music. These [mostly] old tunes conjure nostalgic smiles and come together to make a creamy but still pleasingly tart smoothie of audio pleasure. It fits perfectly with a relaxed afternoon brimming with fulfillment, energy and hope.

Come on, get happy!

2 comments:

Autumn @ Autumn All Along said...

I noticed a little while back it was Disney themed, but I don't think I noticed further than that...how embarrassing. I will probably give your music a try because I have banned myself from mine because it is too loud. I especially approve of #8.

Kirsten said...

Just moments ago I became very sick and tired of my pandora radio stations. Needing a change, i remembered your blog about your playlist and so i decided to come try it out! Good stuff! nuff said.