Thursday, June 11, 2009

acid wash and scrunchies will never go out of style.

Going through things in plastic tubs marked 'chaela: memorabilia' is strange because what is now "memorabilia" was once my life. It was the things I used, the books I read, the journals I kept, the awards I won, and framed pictures of friends who were 'best' at the time and now I can't remember their last names.

I came across several gems from my past, but here comes one of my favorites. I used to be really into anything 1980's themed. I always felt like I was born a decade late. When I was about 14 I decided that I wanted to one day open a 1980's themed restaurant. I kept with me at all times an old McGrath's fish house (my 2nd favorite restaurant) napkin on which I wrote the ideas for the entrees that would be served at said restaurant.

And now, I present to you menu items from a made-up restaurant with a theme that was beat to death by Provo Disc Jockeys:

Soleil Moonfried Chicken
Mr. T-bone steak
X Marky Marks the Crockpot
M*A*S*H potatoes
Oprah Win-fries
Wok like an Egyptian
Vanilla Iced Tea
CareBear-ry lemonade
WHAM! Lamb
Milli VanilliBean Ice Cream
New Kids on the Broccoli
Sweet Creams are Made of These
REM&M Sundaes
Rainbow Brite Sherbet
the Cruel Cruel Summer Special
Ronald Oreagano Pasta
Buffalo Wind Beneath my Wings
He-Manwhich
Karate Kids meal
Reading Rainbow Trout
Sally Jesse Ravioli
A.L.F.redo
Like a Virgin Daquiri


And now, my family and I are going to go out to eat at McGrath's fish house, where this whole dream started. I guess it goes to show that yesterday's reality is today's memorabilia, but in the end we still love ourselves some Ace of Base. And Coconut Prawns.

1 comment:

Trina said...

I bow to your genius!! Hilarious!