Wednesday, March 04, 2009

If the 'Daily Universe' is the world then I'm saving it.

Hi! I know I haven't written lately, life is crazy!! But, that excuse is not going to cut it at the judgment so why should it work on blogspot? Luckily I don't think very many points will be docked for failing to sufficiently update my blog.

I began writing a letter to the Daily Universe's 'Readers Forum' that turned into a full length article. I called the opinion editor at the Daily Universe to see if they ever have guest writers and if my piece could be considered for print. She told me that there is a chance they could print it, and to e-mail her a copy. I did. Hopefully, somehow, it can be printed for the masses to read because I believe in the cause. If the beurocracy of the Daily Universe ultimately abandons my writing, however, it will forever be here on my blog:

____________________________
Hunger Banquet
I did not vote for Barack Obama. And despite his boyish good looks, his views and policies still make me anywhere from nervous to flat-out enraged. But it's hip to be liberal! Counter-culture, meet mainstream: your doppelganger.

This (in addition to skinny jeans, huge sunglasses, keffiyehs, mustaches and 'vintage' shirts from American Apparel) is the reason I have tried so hard to avoid the Students for International Development club. Despite my best friend's heavy involvement with SID, I knew that the hipster hypocrisy surely present at their meetings would make me too frustrated to contain myself in any civilized, 'developed' manner.

Regardless, being a good friend mandates the occasional selfless act. So, as of late, I have begrudgingly attended a few meetings to support my best friend. There in the Kennedy Center I learned that I was, once again, wrong about life.

The Students for International Development club is legit. It's not full of people who quote Conor Oberst's lyrics when asked their political views. Neither do its members promote free love, handouts, or talking about feelings as ways to help change the world.

The International Development discipline as a whole does not profess to know all of the answers. They study, do research, and are constantly trying to find systems and establishments that provide sustainable solutions to the problems plaguing people—fellow children of God—in circumstances (economically and otherwise) light-years worse than our own. Despite opposition, the development world continues to investigate how to preserve culture and teach people to help themselves attain and retain autonomy and quality of life. Who knew that some giving was bad? A monetary contribution may be from the bottom of your heart, but it might hurt more than it helps. I'm sorry if that was hard to hear. Luckily, I have found one of the many missing links from us to them: the Hunger Banquet.

The proceeds from the Hunger Banquet (which is hosted by SID) are essentially treated as grant money for which nonprofit agencies may apply. The applications for the money are due this week. Then, on Monday, a class that is actually devoted to researching development strategies will roll up their sleeves and get to work, carefully investigating each applicant and its effectiveness. This way, I know that the proceeds from my ticket don't go to ridiculous overheads that line 'nonprofit' administrators' pockets. Or BYUSA.

I do not agree with every philosophy that the Students for International Development club has. For example, I think capitalism is a great system that generally works. The Hunger Banquet, however, is something that I can dig. Some may say that our knowledge concerning the prophecies of the last days should tell me that there's not much hope for improvement in the world. I say that any child of Heavenly Father deserves the best that I can give them, regardless of what may happen tomorrow.

So, it turns out that buying a mass-produced peace-promoting hoodie is enough fulfillment for most hipsters. The kids at SID actually care. In this case, the whole truly is greater than the sum of its parts. (and now I'm one of the parts!!) You can be too. Come to the Hunger Banquet this weekend and cause real change.
___________________________

I will update more soon! Until then, goodnight, good luck, and all that jazz.

5 comments:

Sydney Vivian Lambson said...

um... yes. I love love love the hyperlinks. Too bad the daily universe doesn't use hyperlink (because it's printed on paper)

Sydney Vivian Lambson said...

also, i want that hoodie

Ashley said...

I just love you. You make me happy! I read your whole article and found it very well written AND thought provoking. I especially enjoyed the jabs at certain stereotypes. Please write more in your blog because it has been too long since you posted anything. How about posting some of the dating emails and advice that you got emailed?

Justin Ferrell said...

Ah, we miss you at the 'fund Chae.

Eric said...

Wait... I quote Conor Oberst lyrics when describing my political views!