Thursday, June 07, 2012

What it's like to wonder

A day and a half at home. Blissful indeed.

One thing I must do is keep moving. If I want to get everything done this summer I dream to, I can't stop moving. When I am in motion I stay in motion, when I am at rest I stay at REST. (laziness)

Yesterday I unpacked my car, sanded and worked on some mid-construction sunburst mirrors, walked with Lar and Charlee, went out to dinner with JewelsandLar, spread rubber bark amongst the front yard landscaping, etc.

In addition to those maybe menial (but mostly lovely) tasks I took a few moments to cut some flowers from JewelsandLar's beautiful garden and go visit the grave of a dear friend from my past. David died in a plane crash while I was a missionary, just months after marrying his lovely wife.

I never found Dave's headstone. I searched, vaguely remembering some instructions his father had given me back in September. As I studied each name and epitaph, my imagination took me away and questions sprung from my spirit.

It was a cathartic experience, if nothing else. I found myself cleaning and manicuring the uncared for tombstones, as if it was needed or appreciated.

I think we the living need the dead more than they need us.

I put a few flowers from my poorly constructed bouquet on the headstones that looked especially lonely. I put the rest on a statue of the Savior and said a prayer for the families of the deceased, that they would find the truth, the sealing, the hope.

Tonight, dinner at the Stephensons' place and then Jewels and I are off to the Red Barn Auction. Don't you wish you could come?

1 comment:

luvnmy10 said...

I totally feel the same way about graves and flowers and hope. And yes please on the auction! Come back to Florida....